Michael Smith MClSc OT, CWCE/CFCE
Registered Occupational Therapist
Mike has worked as an Occupational Therapist since 2000. Throughout his career, he has worked with individuals in varying capacities with the goal of returning them to function and work. In his earlier years, Mike worked hands-on in both assessment and treatment roles with clients who had sustained brain and spinal cord injuries. This experience has formed the foundation for his current practice performing work in the areas of Functional/Work Capacity Evaluation, Cost of Future Care, File Review / Critique, and Ergonomics. Within his current clinical practice, Mike continues to consult on numerous files with a cognitive / Brain Injury component.
Within Re:Function, Mike carries the roles of Senior Consultant, Managing Partner, and Director of Operations. Although his responsibilities have increased with his years of experience, Mike continues to be very involved in mentorship and management of the Vancouver Island team. He remains committed to clinical practice, with a keen interest in the assessment of individuals who have sustained brain/cognitive injuries. Mike has been qualified by the Supreme Court of British Columbia as an Expert in the areas of Occupational Therapy, Functional/Work Capacity Evaluation, Ergonomics, Brain Injury, and Cost of Future Care.
After hours, you will find Mike either on the golf course or talking about being there. He puts great effort into both his work and his family life, and enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters.
- Masters of Clinical Science (Occupational Therapy), University of Western Ontario, 2000
- Bachelor of Arts (Economics), University of Western Ontario, 1998
- Certified Matheson Work/Functional Capacity Evaluator – Recertification 2016
- Certified EPIC Lift Capacity Evaluator
Current Practice Areas
- Functional/Work Capacity Evaluations
- Physical and Cognitive (Brain Injury)
- Cost of Future Care
- Ergonomics & Worksite Assessment
- College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists – BC (CAOT-BC) & World Federation of Occupational Therapy (WFOT)
Re: Function is reliable, professional, thorough and provides balanced opinions. Feedback from our customers on the quality of reporting has been favourable and we continue to rely on them for assessments.— Director of Operations