Shawna Bonsen BScOT, CWCE/CFCE
Registered Occupational Therapist
Shawna has spent the majority of her career in Occupational Therapy working in the area of Vocational Rehabilitation. In Saskatchewan, she obtained certification with the ErgoScience FCE system, worked as part of a multidisciplinary Occupational Rehabilitation team, helped spearhead injury management services to Potash mines and Saskatoon Transit department, designed pre-employment screening and graduated return to work programs. After working in various OT roles including the Program Coordinator for the Art Studios in Vancouver and inpatient hospital-based services, she returned to ‘voc rehab’ in 2005. Shawna completed her training with Roy Matheson & Associates and has been a Certified Work/Functional Capacity Evaluator since 2006. In 2014 Shawna successfully completed the U.S. Board exam for Certification of Occupational Therapists and is licensed to practice as an OT in Washington State, however the bulk of her work is presently in BC.
Shawna has been performing medical legal work in BC since 2007 and has been accepted as an expert witness by the Supreme Court of BC in the area of Work/Functional Capacity Evaluation and Cost of Future Care Analysis. Shawna is skilled and passionate about assessing individuals’ function in their homes and workplaces. She performs medical legal work for both Plaintiff and Defense, and particularly enjoys Cost of Future Care Analysis.
When not in the clinic or writing at her computer, Shawna is likely chasing after her 2 kids, working out in a Barre class or maybe enjoying a few moments of peace & quiet.
- Bachelor of Science, Occupational Therapy, Queen’s University, 1997
- International Development Certificate Program, University of British Columbia, 2010
- Accepted expert witness in the Supreme Court of British Columbia for Work/Functional Capacity Evaluation and Cost of Future Care Analysis
- Certified Matheson Work / Functional Capacity Evaluator (CWCE) since 2006
- ErgoScience Functional Capacity Evaluator
Current Practice Areas
- MedLegal Functional Capacity Evaluations
- Cost of Future Care Analysis
- MedLegal Consultation & Critiques
- College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
- Washington State Department of Health, Occupational Therapy
Re: Function is reliable, professional, thorough and provides balanced opinions. Feedback from our customers on the quality of reporting has been favourable and we continue to rely on them for assessments.— Director of Operations